Instructions for the Day Before Surgery
The following instructions are very important and MUST be followed. Otherwise it may be necessary to cancel your surgery.
After your doctor schedules your surgery, a Pre-Operative nurse will contact you to interview you regarding your medical history. The nurse will request the names of medications that you take, including herbal remedies. At that time, the nurse will give you instructions about how to prepare for surgery and when to arrive at The Surgery Center.
Morning Cases (Before 1PM)
▪ Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your surgery, including water, juice, coffee, chewing gum or mints.
▪ Do not drink alcoholic beverages or take recreational drugs 48 hours prior to surgery.
▪ Do not smoke before or after your surgery. Smoking may cause anesthetic problems.
▪ Do not take aspirin, aspirin products, vitamin E, Motrin, ibuprofen, Advil, Aleve, or any herb or garlic supplement for one week before and after surgery, unless otherwise instructed by your doctor. Talk to your doctor if you take Coumadin, Plavix, or other blood thinners.
▪ If you are taking medication for breathing, seizure, heart disease or blood pressure, take it the morning of surgery with a small sip of water. If you use inhalers, bring them with you.
▪ If you are a diabetic, do not take any pills or insulin the morning of the procedure. If your surgery is scheduled for later in the day, we will give further instruction.
▪ Do not use lotions, gels, hair spray, cologne, perfume or powders. If your surgery is above your chest, do not use deodorant.
▪ If you feel you cannot comply with these guidelines, please call the Pre-Operative nurses at 810-667-4000 to discuss your concerns.
Afternoon Cases (1PM or later)
Same as above.
▪ You may drink clear liquids until 7AM. Liquids also include apple juice, grape juice, black coffee (no additives like cream or sugar), and water.
▪ For further information regarding your Surgical Instructions, please choose from the following. If you have any further questions, please call us at 1-810-667-4000.